Friday, October 5, 2012

Photog Challenge -IS BACK!

For much (or possibly all) of my childhood/growing up, we have had sporadic fires in the fireplace.
We have kept a decent sized wood pile out behind our house for years and years.
Occasinally, when the weather gets cold, in the fall or winter, Dad puts some logs in the fireplace, turns on the gas and gets a sizzling fire started.

My family all enjoy a nice tosty fire.
The only trouble is, while the room the fireplace is in is nice and warm, the rest of the rooms are cold when we go to bed because the fire seems to suck all the air from the rest of the house...
So ultimately, the fire doesn't really heat the house up.
It just heats those who are sitting directly in front of it.
And sometimes, memories of time spent around the fireplace warm the heart.

Not all of the memories,  however, are heartwarming! 
I remember one time when a log fell out of the fireplace. Just my sister and I were in the house because my parents were in the yard doing something. One or both of us started screaming "FIRE!!"  My dad discounted it at first, thinking we were yelling "Spider!!":P  But he did come in and take care of it. 
We ended up having to sand a little spot off the floor from where the wood had fallen out, and I think my sister got a small burn on her leg from the firey-chunk of wood.  But in the end, it was all ok. (Praise the Lord!)
We now have a "fireproof" rug in front of the fireplace, just in case a log did happen to roll out again.

Though I have both good memories, and bad memories of the fireplace, I would say the good outweigh the bad.
I am grateful that we've had a fireplace to enjoy in our house.

So that brings us to the picture for "day 10" (in truth, taken this evening).
The fireplace.
No, there was not a fire going when I took the photo.
But maybe if you use your imagination, you can almost see embers dying down behind the screen and glass... smell the smokiness... feel the dying warmth...
_____________________________________
Day 10: << A Childhood Memory>>
 
 
~~
ISA 

1 comment:

Muchisimas gracias por pasear por mi blog! Por favor, deja un comentario!
Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! Please leave a comment!