Thursday, September 13, 2012

*Sarcasm*

Scarcasm.
What is it really?
It is an attitude.
Scarcasm is (to put it very broadly) saying something that you don't mean.

Now granted, there are many types of sarcasm.
Right now, I'm just talking about one, namely: a sarcastic response when someone asks you a question.

Example:
You trip, fall and skin your knee.
Your friend says: "Whoah! Are you ok?"
You could react one of two ways.
1. You could say something to the effect of: "Ugh I skinned my knee..." and possibly even "Ow! That hurt."
2. Or you could say something more like: "Yeaah! I'm GREAT! Isn't anyone after they fly into the pavement and start bleeding?"

The first reaction is a genuine answer to the question.

The second, is a hardened (maybe even bitter?) and not really honest answer to the question.   The asker, who likely just expressing legitimate concern for you, may be taken a-backor even hurt by your sharp reply.

Scarcasm can easily become a habit... a standard reaction to any question.
Sometimes you react with sarcasm without even thinking. 
Not because you have a motive, but just because it's how you're used to reacting.

Sometimes sarcasm could be a way to protect yourself.
A way to express your feelings without directly saying them.

Sometimes sarcasm could be a way to get attention.

Sometimes sarcasm comes about when you've been hurt by someone in the past.
You react with sarcasm because inside, you're still hurt by what they did/said before, and you almost can't believe they have the nerve to still talk to you.

So how can we change our attitude?

I think it starts with dying to ourselves.

We must not focus on ourselves (I feel really clumsy and uncomposed right now... I need to regain control of this situation) (I don't want to sound wimpy!)  (Wow, this person never expresses concern for me, and now I'M supposed to accept this gesture of kindness??!) etc, etc.

Instead, we must focus on Christ and others. We need to think before we say something out of habit, and make sure that our words are true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, praiseworthy...(Phillipians 4:8).   Have an attitude of grattitude for the people God has placed in your life, and be ready to express joy in every situation and constantly be a vessle of God's love, forgiveness and grace.   It's an attitude of humility: being open and willing be sincere and/or to show that we're weak, instead of pride and trying to protect ourselves or get revenge or whatever.

I'm not saying that I'll ever totally stop being sarcastic, but I do think it's good for all of us to think before we speak, and examine our attitudes.



Nuevo subjeto!
Mi trabajo.
He sido trabajando desde el fin de agosto.
Cuando empece, yo estaba trabajando a jornada completa. 
Pero ahora, estoy trabajando de jornada parcial.
Mi trabajo es muy ocupada. Y hay mucha estres. 
Un parte de mi trabajo es ayudar a los pacientes hispanicos/los hispanohablantes.
Me encanta el espanol! Pero mi espanol es muy lejos de perfecto.
Muchas dias, tengo mucho sueno.
Lentamente, estoy acostumbrandome a mi trabajo.
Bueno.. sea lo que sea..


Cooking/baking.
I like making food.
Sometimes when you can't hardly do something anymore (in my case, for lack of time) you come to appreciate it more!
I'm thankful that my mom is still cooking.
My mom is a superb cook!
Tonight she is making stuffed peppers.
Normally I don't like peppers, but when mom makes them like this it's so delish!
Yum yum yummmmmmmmmmm.



On Friday, I turned 18.
It was a busy day.
My boss was so thoughtful- she bought me coffe (white choco mocha x) and this coffee cake thingy!
Later when I came home, my sister called me upstairs.
My door to my room was closed...
I was like "Are you in here?"
"Yeah." she said.
So I opened the door....
AHHKK!
I was greeted by a chorus of: "SURPRISE!" and my room was full of balloons/streamers!
It was a special afternoon!!
(note: my floor is still covered in balloons:)
Then in the evening we played frisbee!
It was a great night for it! (a bit breezy for the frisbee, but it was refreshing!).
What a special day!
Thank you God for Birthdays- for allowing me to complete another year!

I'm an adult now.
It doesn't feel like I should be...
But legally, I am!
I can now: vote, carry pepper spray, and enter in all those contests that say "must be 18 or older to enter" lol.
I'm a "grown up" now ;)



Today I tried this new nail-doing tecnique.
I don't paint my finger nails very often because it always comes off so quickly.
But I talked to one of my friends from volunteering yesterday, and she told me how she did her nails with scotch tape!
So I decided to try it!
The thumb nails are the only ones I did with tape.
Unfortunatly, they turned out really sloppy.  it's so hard to cut the tape and stick it on!
I ended up doing them in a half-hazard, slap-it-on fasion.
Still though, they turned out nice-ish.
We'll see how long it lasts before the tape falls off!
 
 
 
 
Pennsylvania.
I really do like PA.
Seeing extended family.
Grandma's house.
The big-ish creek.
The majestic mountains.
The eagles. The deer. The snakes. The wooly bear&the white n' black caterpillars. Sometimes bears!
Fresh apple cider and apples.
The old railroad bridge.
Drinking hot cocoa out of little, thick-ish brown and white mugs.
Writing notes on the dry erase board.
Eating cotton candy/teaberry ice cream.
Reading/making up a song for the poem in the wall-hanging.
Spotlighting deer.
Helping find dead deer and all that follows.
Frequenting the general store to buy candy :)
Trying to catch tadpoles and other water critters.
Stopping to see the fire department make apple butter.
Long car rides.
Breathtaking views.
Stocking trout.
Country store meat.
Hiking at beaulah land.
Looking for teaberries.
Arguing over who's unpacking their bags into which drawers.
Running out to the garage to check email.
The bulk foods store.
Birch beer.
The "clunk, clunk, clunk" of dad's boots on the porch as he returns home from morning hunting.
Calling my friends back home on the white cordless phone that dies so often.
Rattlesnake rock.
Stargazing in an open field.
And so much more.
Countless memories.
I thinking this year, I might possible have an appreciation for PA like never before.
When the weather starts to get cool...
When the first frost comes...
When the leaves start to turn and fall...
As October draws near...
I'll step outside and say "Today feels like Pennsylvania."
 
 
 
~~
ISABEL

2 comments:

  1. O Jenny, this post was so refreshing... =) Thank you for sharing it. Happy 18th Birtday!!! Love, Sophia <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the post!!
    You need to show me how to do the nail polish thing!! ...not that I can paint my nails anyway, but...still, it looks cool. :D

    ReplyDelete

Muchisimas gracias por pasear por mi blog! Por favor, deja un comentario!
Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! Please leave a comment!