Friday, June 1, 2012

Homemade "Cough Drops"

So you have a sore throat, and you want something to soothe it...

But you don't want to eat all those store-bought chemical-y thingies?

Are you looking for a something you can make yourself that's probably way cheaper than the cough drops from the store?? (but don't quote me on that cuz I haven't compared the cost yet.... :P)

Well, look no further!



I know, I know... they look weird.
My cough drops turned out a gross color because the browned cooked sugar mixed with the food coloring made them look brown/green.

But they still taste good! :D


Anyways, these (see above picture) are homemade cough drops!

I got the recipe here.

I used a mint tea for the "herbs" and they taste great!  I also used green food coloring but I'm sure it would be fine without it.

My only warning is: don't drop them on a tray unless you want flat cough drops.
Use a candy mold. Or, a mini ice cube tray would probably work.

Also, my cough drops didn't crystallize when I was cooking them. So even though the recipe says to wait until they crystalize, don't worry about that. Just make sure you turn off the stove when the sugar starts to get thick and really brown, otherwise your cough drops will burn and most likely taste nasty.


So there you have it! Homemade cough drops!

They're really nothing more than herbal hard candy, but they do soothe the throat.

Something with lemon and honey would probably be more natural and healthy, but I haven't found a recipe like that. If you find one, please share!



Que lo pases bien!
~~
ISA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Muchisimas gracias por pasear por mi blog! Por favor, deja un comentario!
Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! Please leave a comment!